* Start with the service plate or charger and align it flush with the edge of the table.
* Starting on the outside of the place setting and moving in toward the plate, lay flatware in order of use: forks on the left, knives and spoons on the right (i.e., if the salad is served after the main course, it is placed to the right of the dinner fork). Align the bottom of all flatware handles.
* Knives should be placed with the cutting edge turned toward the plate, and spoons are placed to the right of knives.
* If the first course is to be plated when the guests arrive, place the napkin to the left of the forks. If not, it may be placed in the center of each guest’s plate.
* The water goblet is placed directly over the knives and soup spoon. All other glasses are placed to the right of the water goblet.
* Center the dessert spoon and fork over the charger. The spoon should be over the fork, with the bowl of the spoon facing to the left. The tines of the fork should face to the right.
* Place bread plate and butter knife to the left of the dessert spoon and fork.